Walk into any room that is packed with stuff, with clutter, and it can stop you in your tracks. It can leave you feeling overwhelmed, frozen and like you can’t breathe. As a professional organizer, I see it all the time, busy people who have accumulated too much stuff and now they can’t use or enjoy their home for living, entertaining or work.
Clutter accumulates because people don’t make decisions on a regular basis for what to keep and what to part with. They end up keeping everything until it’s out of control and they are looking for help. How do you declutter so you can breathe again? Follow a few easy tips to stay on top of your game.
• Think hard before you even let it in the door. Where are you going to put it? How are you going to use it? Do you really need it? Do you already have one?
• If it’s broken, fix it, have it fixed or get rid of it. Don’t store a bunch of broken items.
• Your home is valuable real estate, honor it by only keeping items that add happiness and value in your home and life.
• Keep a donation bag or box handy at all times to toss donations in as you come across them.
• Feel good about parting with items you aren’t using by giving them to a worthy charity.
• Part with duplicates, how many do you really need?
Clutter can be such a source of stress in our lives, declutter today, relieve stress and breathe again!