Three firefighters trapped
As firefighters arrived, they found flames engulfing the roof and attic area of the two-story structure. Firefighters were attempting to gain access to the attic when a partial roof collapsed, trapping three firefighters for a short time.
The firefighters were able to free themselves from the fallen debris and exit the building on their own. Two of the firefighters were transported to a hospital in Everett where they were treated and released.
Due to no hydrants in the area, fire units had to shuttle water from a fire hydrant several blocks away using water tenders.
Residents reported that they were watching television downstairs when they heard a popping sound and their TV went off. The residents went outside and discovered their roof on fire and called 911. They escaped unharmed.
The fire appeared to have started from the chimney and spread to the roof and attic area of the home causing an estimated $700,000 in damages.
The three alarm fire brought neighboring agencies from Granite Falls, Getchell, Lake Roesiger, Monroe, Marysville and Snohomish fire departments. Most of the help was used to shuttle water.