Lake Stevens Fire continues Risk Watch in Lake Stevens’ elementary schools for the month of January with a focus on preventing injuries caused by falls.
Falls are one of the leading causes of unintentional injuries in Lake Stevens.
In 2010, Lake Stevens Fire responded to 302 calls involving injuries caused by falls.
The majority of people affected were children under the age of 12 and older adults.
Tips to help prevent falls:
• Make sure walking areas are free of hazards.
• Sand frozen walkways around home.
• Line showers with no-slip strips.
• Make sure hallways and walkways are lit.
• Wear sturdy, well-fitting shoes.
• Make sure children cannot lean against windows.
• Supervise young children at playgrounds and parks.
• Rugs should have grip-pads to prevent slippage.
• Use handrails when climbing stairs.