Students at Lake Stevens High School started their day out on Thursday, June 7 with the scent of gas wafting through the air.
Students in the 100 building were evacuated at 8:30 a.m. and Lake Stevens School District quickly posted the evacuation on their webpage so parents would be aware of what is going on.
The entire school was evacuated as a safety precaution.
“The fire department and Puget Sound Energy came in and went through all of the buildings at the school,” Arlene Hulten, Director of Communications for the Lake Stevens School District said. “They did not find any gas leak so students returned to their classrooms an hour later.”
PSE continued to search area neighborhoods to find where the smell was originating from and if it was a gas leak.
“We never found a gas leak,” PSE said. “It could have been that one of the crews was putting odor in one of the nearby gas stations which is in close proximity to the high school.”